Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Lost Boy 10/30

I woke up this morning to learn that my first celebrity crush, 80's actor Corey Haim, died of a drug overdose. He was only 38 years old. I started this blog to keep our family & friends informed about how addiction was impacting our family and I realize more every day how much of an epidemic drug & alcohol addiction is in our country. A couple of days ago I was reading a magazine article that was interviewing Lindsey Lohan and she talked about how she was still drinking in spite of her 3 different stints in rehab. She even had the nerve to say rehab was a vacation. As the spouse of a recovering alcoholic, it both saddens and angers me at the way addiction is almost glamorized by the media. Listen to me...addiction ruins lives, marriages, and friendships...and all too often the end result is not recovery, it's death. I do hope Corey's soul has finally found peace, but I wish he didn't have to leave the inevitable wake of sadness behind him. His loved ones have to live out the rest of their lives knowing he was never able to find peace and recovery in this life, never having the chance of so many possible good memories with someone they lost way too soon.
If the Lord has blessed me in any way, it has been His gift of recovery that has both healed and saved my marriage. I know life after addiction is possible. My family is living proof. That is never to say we are without problems (just look at my pity party yesterday!), but we have learned to live in it, with it, and through it with the help of God. He will never give us anything we cannot handle.

No comments:

Post a Comment